Click on each step to view the process of getting a U.S. children’s passport. To optimize time, it is best to call our office after you have completed Step 1 of the instructions, so that we can best assist you. Feel free to contact us here with questions.
Step 1: Collect Documents
Provide proof of identity for the parent or guardian (One Below)
- Valid state photo ID or drivers license of parents. (copy of front and back)
- Valid government issued photo ID of parents.
Provide proof of U.S. citizenship (one below)
- Certified copy of the child applicant’s birth certificate with the state’s seal. Both parents must be on the certificate. Attention: all parents listed on the birth certificate must be present at the post office, if one parent cannot be there, they need a notarized parental consent form DS-3053.
- Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization.
- Attention: If the child applicant has had a U.S. passport before, you must submit both the birth certificate and the expired passport.
Complete and print the passport application (DS-11)
- Fill out this form online and choose “create form” to view the completed application to be printed. Ignore the fees at this time. Please print 2 copies, but do not sign them yet.
- 2 Inches by 2 Inches on a white background
3 signed copies of the Letter of Authorization. Please print 3 and put an original signature on all 3 letters.
The name of at least one or parents should be written down next to your child’s names and identified as mother or father and on the signature line, at least one or both parents would need to sign and write mother or father next to their signature.
- This allows our company to act on the applicant’s behalf.
- (Attention: Write “A1 Passport and Visa Express” in the “Courier Company Name” field and check the first two boxes. Do NOT check all three boxes, checking all three boxes voids the letter. If you need help, please watch our YouTube video here.)
Download and print the order form for A1 Passport
- Please indicate your travel date on this form so we know what service you are requesting. Page 2 contains the credit card authorization to charge you for our services.
Social Security Number of the child applicant.
- If you do not provide the SS number the IRS may impose a $500 penalty fee. If the child has just been born, write 000-00-0000 and provide a written statement addressed to: Washington Passport Agency explaining the reason you have placed 0s on the form is due to the fact that you have not yet received a social security number for your child. This statement should be dated and singed by both parents prior to witnessing your signatures at the local passport acceptance facility and included with the rest of your child’s passport documents.
Copy of Travel Itinerary/Reservations
- A confirmed itinerary, OR a copy of your airline ticket, OR a letter from your company printed on your stationery addressed to the Washington Passport Agency introducing the applicant, stating the date and country of travel, requesting issuance of a new passport prior to your travel date.
Step 2: Fees
U.S. Department of State Child Passport : Government Fee
Postmaster / County Clerk : Witnessing Fee
A1 Passport : Passport Service Fees
|Service Type||Price||Processing Time|
|Emergency**||$249||1-2 business day|
|Urgent*||$195||3-5 business days|
|Rush||$149||7-10 business days|
|Standard||$95||15-20 business days|
**By appointment only
*Must call first
Note: All processing times are measured in business days and begin from the day of submission to the passport agency, not the day we recieve your documents. All slots are subject to availability. For prompt processing, please call our office before sending your documents.
Return Shipping Fees
|Priority Overnight||$28||1-3 Passports|
|Priority Overnight||$31||4+ Passports|
|Saturday Delivery||$41||1-3 Passports|
Fee summary: You will be making 3 payments to 1. a federally authorized witnessing facility, 2. the state department, and 3. our company. The passport fee must be paid by 2 checks or money orders. The fee for our service covers the hand carrying and submitting your passport documents to the passport agency, and retrieving your passport upon completion.
- Check or money order for $35 made payable to “Postmaster” OR “Clerk of the county court.”
- Check or money order for $140 payable to “U.S. Department of State.”
- Calculate: Consular Fee + A1 Service Fee + Shipping = Total Due
Step 3: Passport Acceptance Facility
In order to apply for an expedited U.S. passport you must first have your signature witnessed by an acceptable authority. Normally this is done by certain post offices and county clerks.Find the Closest Passport Acceptance Facility
Both parents must be present along with your child during this process.
Before going be sure to have the following documents on this Checklist:
- Application form (DS-11) fully completed but left unsigned
- Proof of citizenship
- Proof of identity OR parental consent form if one parent cannot go to the post office.
- One recent passport photo
- 2 signed and dated Letters of Authorization with the first two boxes checked and “A1 Passport & Visa Express” written in the “courier company name” field.
- Copy of Travel Itinerary/Reservations
- Payment in check or money order for the passport and payment for the post office. (Do not bring the A1 service fee or return shipping fee to the post office.)
IMPORTANT: Make copies of your Application
Bring all above original materials to a Passport Acceptance Facility and notify the agent you are using an expediting service to “hand carry” your application.
The acceptance agent will take about ten minutes to go through the following steps:
- To verify your child’s identity, the agent will request your proof of parentage. Both parents must be present with child, (or one parent with the notarized form DS-3053 including his/her ID with child present).
- The agent will ask BOTH parents (or absentee form DS-3053 and ONE parent) to sign the DS-11, and then will witness your signature and seal ALL documents in an envelope for hand-carrying.
- To verify that you need an expedited passport, you must provide evidence of your departure date.
- The agent will then seal the DS-11, photos, proof of citizenship, Letter of Authorization for A1 Passport, proof of departure date, and the $140 check in an envelope marked “To be opened by U.S. Passport Office Only.”
Important: Do not open this sealed envelope or the application will be invalidated.
Please write the following on the outside of the sealed envelope:
- Applicant’s Name
- Date of Birth
- Departure Date
IMPORTANT: DO NOT SEAL THE A1 ORDER FORM or payment for OUR services (A1 Passport & Visa Express) inside the sealed envelope, they should be paper clipped outside of your sealed envelope along with the rest of the copies made earlier.
Step 4: Shipping
Put the following documents into a FedEx Envelope
- Sealed government envelope
- One (two-page) order form for A1 Passport
- Payment to A1 Passport & Visa Express
- Two completed and signed Letters of Authorization with original signatures, a copy of the application, copy of travel reservations, font and back copies of both parents’ IDs.
- Copy of Travel Itinerary/Reservations
- The service fee for A1, and the return shipping fee .
We recommend that you use FedEx as a safe means of overnight shipping. We will return your passport to you the same way.
A1 Passport & Visa Express
1411 K Street Ste 805 NW.
Washington, DC. 20005
(202) 639 1500
Important Notice: In case of an emergency, when your passport must be processed in 24-48 hours, you must call our office for special instructions. Your FedEx package should be marked “FIRST AM DELIVERY.” You must clearly indicate “DELIVER AFTER 7AM, PLEASE SLIDE UNDER THE DOOR.” Our building opens automatically at 7am; the FedEx driver will not be able to enter the building before that time.