Because getting a new or “first time” U.S. passport has an additional step that requires a trained official to witness your signature, it can be a little more confusing than a standard passport renewal. The most important thing is to gather all of the documents first. Then after completing Step 1, give our office a call and we can make sure you are fully prepared to prevent delays. Contact us here with any questions.
At the present time all commercial passport and visa services are unable to perform “Emergency passport services” until further notice from the Washington Passport Agency.
Step 1: Collect Documents
Provide proof of identity (one below)
- Valid state photo ID or drivers license.
- Federally issued photo ID.
Provide proof of U.S. citizenship (one below)
Complete and print the passport application (DS-11)
- Fill out this form online and choose “create form” to view the completed application to be printed. Ignore the fees at this time. Please print 2 copies, but do not sign them yet.
- Important tip – When asked how you would like to be contacted, please choose “EMAIL” to save time; the government will send you an email in case of any issues with your documents.
- 2 Inches by 2 Inches on a white background – Click above for exact requirement.
3 signed copies of the Letter of Authorization
- Please print 3 and put an original signature on all 3 letters. This allows our company to act on the applicant’s behalf.
- (Attention: Write “A1 Passport and Visa Express” in the “Courier Company Name” field and check the first two boxes. Do NOT check all three boxes, checking all three boxes voids the letter. If you need help, please watch our YouTube video here.)
Download and print the order form for A1 Passport
- Please indicate your travel date on this form so we know what service you are requesting. Page 2 contains the credit card authorization to charge you for our services.
Copy of Travel Itinerary/Reservations
- A confirmed itinerary, OR a copy of your airline ticket, OR a letter from your company printed on your stationery addressed to the Washington Passport Agency introducing the applicant, stating the date and country of travel, requesting issuance of a new passport prior to your travel date.
Step 2: Fees
The U.S. Department of State : Government Fees
|16 & 17 year-olds
|Children under 16
|USPS return ship
|Regular mail by gov
Postmaster / County Clerk : Witnessing Fee
A1 Passport : Passport Service Fees
|Emergency 1 day**
|Please call for availability
|24 hours service
|5-7 business day
|4-6 Weeks processing
**By appointment only
*Must call first
Note: All processing times are measured in business days and begin from the day of submission to the passport agency, not the day we receive your documents. All slots are subject to availability. For prompt processing, please call our office before sending your documents. IMPORTANT: Your sealed envelope that you’ll receive from the post office expires within 5 business day. You must call our office so that we can coordinate and have you make an appointment with the post office to make sure you have your docs. taken to the post office and witness your signature with the 5 days period and before we submit your paperwork to the government. Again, please note that this package will expire within 5 days so please call our office ahead of time.
Notice: All credit card payments are subject to 3% processing fee.
Return Shipping Fees
|$75+ depending on destination zip
Fee summary: You will be making 3 payments to 1. a federally authorized witnessing facility, 2. the state department, and 3. our company. The passport fee must be paid by 2 checks or money orders. The fee for our service covers the hand carrying and submitting your passport documents to the passport agency, and retrieving your passport upon completion.
- check or money order for $35 made payable to “Postmaster” OR “Clerk of the county court or the library”
- check or money order for $190 payable to “U.S. Department of State.” You may add the USPS priority overnight shipping fee of $19.53 with your passport fee
- Calculate: A1 Service Fee + Shipping Fee = Total Due to A1
Step 3: Passport Acceptance Facility
In order to apply for an expedited U.S. passport you must first have your signature witnessed by an acceptable authority. Normally this is done by certain post offices, county clerks, and some libraries.Find the Closest Passport Acceptance Facility
Before going be sure to have the following documents on this Checklist:
- 1. Application form (DS-11) fully completed but left unsigned
- Proof of citizenship
- Proof of identity
- One recent passport photo
- 3 signed and dated Letters of Authorization with the first two boxes checked and “A1 Passport & Visa Express” written in the “courier company name” field.
- Copy of Travel Itinerary/Reservations (for 24 hour and Next Day processing only)
- Payment in check or money order for the passport and payment for the post office. (Do not bring the A1 service fee or return shipping fee to the post office.)
IMPORTANT: Make 2 copies of your Application
Take all above original materials to a Passport Acceptance Facility and notify the agent you are using an expediting service to “hand carry” your application.
The acceptance agent will take about ten minutes to go through the following steps:
- To verify your identity, the agent will request your proof of identity.
- The agent will ask you to sign the DS-11, and then will witness your signature and seal ALL documents in an envelope for hand-carrying.
- To verify that you need an expedited passport, you must provide evidence of your departure date.
- The agent will then seal the DS-11, photos, proof of citizenship, letter of authorization, proof of travel and the check in an envelope marked “To be opened by U.S. Passport Office Only” and return it to you.
Important: Make sure the agent returns the sealed envelope to you. If the agent does not feel at ease about releasing the envelope, suggest that he/she refer to page 31 or 44 of their Passport Agent’s Manual, “Hand-carrying of Executed Applications.”
IMPORTANT: Do not open this sealed envelope or the application will be invalidated.
Please write the following on the outside of the sealed envelope:
- Applicant’s Name
- Date of Birth
- Departure Date
IMPORTANT:DO NOT SEAL THE A1 ORDER FORM or payment for OUR services (A1 Passport & Visa Express) inside the sealed envelope, they should be paper clipped outside of your sealed envelope along with the rest of the copies made earlier.
Step 4: Shipping
- Sealed government envelope
- Extra Copy of Passport Application (DS-11)
- Two Extra (original signature) Letter of Authorization
- One (two-page) order form for A1 Passport
- The service fee for A1 Passport & Visa Express.
Call us at 202-639-1500 to indicate you are processing an Expedited Passport from the Internet.
We recommend that you use FedEx as a safe means of overnight shipping. We will return your passport to you the same way.
A1 Passport & Visa Express
1012 14th St NW, #630
Washington, DC. 20005
(202) 639 1500
Important Notice: A1 Passport & Visa Express is a non-government service company that acts only as an agent and cannot accepts responsibility for any services provided by the Washington Passport Agency or in connection to issuance of a passports, delays, and loss of passport or other material including delivery of passport by USPS or other shipping services. Damage compensation is not available. All fees paid by credit card are subject to 3% processing fee.