What to Do if Your Passport is Lost or Stolen

It can be a gut wrenching feeling when you discover that your passport is missing. It can be even worse if it happens while you are outside of your own country. However, there are steps you can take to rectify the situation and make your international traveling experience as smooth as possible.


The U.S. Bureau of Consular Affairs recommends travelers report a lost or stolen passport immediately.  Making contact with the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate will help expedite your time to receive new traveling documents.


Travelers can report the missing passport by calling toll free: 1-877-487-2778. Operators are available from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, except on federal holidays. The form you will need to fill out is the DS-64 form, which will need to be completed, signed and submitted to: U.S. Department of State
Passport Services, Consular Lost/Stolen Passport Section, 1111 19th Street, NW, Suite 500, Washington, DC 20036.


This address can also be used if someone finds a passport. It is recommended that the passport be mailed in a sturdy envelope.


It should be noted that once a passport is reported stolen or lost, it cannot be revalidated. A new passport will have to be issued. Even if you recover the lost passport after you have reported it missing, though it cannot be revalidated, you should report the find with the Consular’s lost or stolen passport system.


Also, you can apply for a replacement passportat the same time you are reporting the missing one. This will be in the traveler’s best interest to do this in a timely manner so that you can continue traveling without further delay.

Posted by: A1 Passport & Visa Express